Number one is my beautiful Mumma, (Creeky Beads) who makes unique lamp work glass beads. Jewellery lovers eat your heart out. Some fit the Pandora bracelets others work perfect on keyrings, rings and necklaces.
Second small business which I have a massive love for is Peony Vintage, tucked away in the old town of Margate. Georgie who runs it is always so fun and welcoming. With hidden vintage gems there is plenty of little treasures waiting to be found.
The third small business which I like to support - and is perfect for the food lovers in Kent is Salt & Spice Global Flavourings. Based in Faversham Daniel hand picks and mixes spices jarred up in a very cool shop in the heart of Standard Quay.
Stellen UK is our number four. Made from t-shirts and offcute the beatiful and interestingly shaped necklaces, bracelets and more are fun , vibrant and personal for each person you know. Perfect for the lover of all things funky. (Based on Etsy, markets and various stockists)
Number five is perfect for the home, Elizabeth Ann Textiles have the cutest footstools for all recipients. From Orla Kiely style to water coloured patterns.
This is a snippet of the many freelancers, designers, activists and business owners giving some love in this world. Living the dream jobs and being their own bosses. Reasons to shop small this christmas?
1. It gives the maker a HUGE feeling of happiness
2. It is a conversation starter of "Where did you buy this?"
3. It supports small businesses and brings back the idea of community.
4. It feels great supporting the local hughstreet and businesses.
5. It could be a recurring gift. You give a unique gift to someone who may buy from them again.
"When you buy from a small business, someone, somewhere does a happy dance."
- Still one of my favourite quotes yet. (And so true!)