The F word is often dismissed or misused a lot of the time. So why is it important that we bring it forward into the spotlight? Why not? Feminists are often seen as men hating women who want women to overpower and become the controlling gender. Wrong.
A feminist by definition is “The belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of the political, economic and social equality of the sexes.'"
So why should we all be feminists? Here are ten reasons why. (That are simple and easy to understand)
1. Men and women have the same rights.
2. Equal roles are important for children to grow up seeing.
3. It’s 2018.
4. Living in an equal world would be a much nicer and happier place.
5. Because men need support too.
6. Everyone deserves fair opportunities
7. Women may be more inclined to carry on working if there were better pay in some of the bigger companies (see post about The Gender Pay Gap)
8. The future can not be defined by the past.
9. Talking about our feelings is a good thing.
10. Working together is key.
To end on a quote by the inspirational Emma Watson
“I think the word is really difficult because it seems to inherently address a preferential treatment of the feminine over the masculine because it has the feminine in the word, and I think that’s a real oversight and misunderstanding. Instead, feminism is about gender equality, across the board. This isn’t just girls are better than boys, boys are better than girls. This is just everyone deserves a fair chance.” - Emma Watson
Mrs Banks: Image Credit; blogauthentic.com/blog/come-march-with-us-tomorrow-womens-march-london